Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Three New Books to Review from Dawn Publications

Over in the Arctic Where the Cold Winds Blow, a picture book by Marianne Berkes, illustrated by Jill Dubin, is a rhyming account of the animals in the arctic like a polar bear, arctic hare, whale, seal, snowy owl,wolverine and many more. The rhyme is set to the rhythm of "Over in the Meadow". Here's a sample page, "Over in the Arctic, Paddling in the icy sea, Lived an old mother walrus, And her little calves three. "Kick," said the mother. "We kick," said the three. So they kicked with their flippers, Paddling in the icy sea."
I believe this is a good read aloud for children since it has rhythm, rhyme and movement. How many books? I would give it four out five books. Well done!
Inside All by Margaret H. Mason, illustrated by Holly Welch, is a picture book that tells about "the comfort of knowing that they belong, that they are part of something meaningful." My favorite lines in the book are "Inside you Is a heart Pure and glowing. Inside your heart Is all Love overflowing." I like this book. I give it 3 out of 5 books.
My First Hike is a board book written and illustrated by Catherine Maria Woolf. The text is simple and heartfelt and tells about a grandfather taking his grandchildren on their first hike. I recommend this original board book, 3 out 5 books.

No comments: